The Illinois Department of Public Health issued an update today with the latest count of confirmed Coronavirus test positive cases including numerous new Zip Codes that made the list. We analyzed and updated the top 20 emerging Illinois Zip Codes and see a significant pattern emerging. We excluded from our ranking any Zip Code that hasn’t reported 100 or more confirmed positive cases. The top 20 communities on our list have more than twice as many Latinos than any other race impacted by the virus.
Latino communities are ranking in the top fastest growing areas reporting positive tests for the Coronavirus. Something needs to happen fast to help protect this vital part of our community that is being impacted at a growing rate by the virus.
- All vital stores should have chalk or tape markings outside store entrances delimiting 6 feet minimum spacing
- Stores need to take accountability for ensuring customers maintain 6 feet of spacing
- Cashiers, clerks, stock persons, food service workers all need employer provided protective masks and gloves
- Stores should implement mask only hours to protect those that are the most vulnerable
- Government agencies need to spot check and enforce these measures in the short term
- More rapid 5 minute tests need to be made available to anyone with a fever in these emerging areas
- Essential business should be required to conduct daily temperature checks at the start of the work day for each employee.
The previous measures if implemented would slow this down.
Zip Codes having fewer than 100 Confirmed Coronavirus Positive Cases were excluded from today’s ranking by growth Top 20
Zip Codes with less than 100 Confirmed Cases as of 4/11/20 were excluded from the ranking based on daily average growth rate, highest to lowest.