Cyber Security & Computer Forensics Expert Lee Neubecker and Data Privacy Expert Debbie Reynolds discuss recent efforts to pass legislation in the House and Senate that would hold telecommunication providers responsible for addressing the ever growing tide of robocalls disrupting consumers and businesses. Existing laws such as the Telephone Consumer Protection Act have proven in effective in blocking off shore robocalls. VOIP technology allows for robocall centers to systematically dial U.S. consumers and businesses from beyond the legal reach of our court system. Popular spoofing techniques such as Neighborhood Calling often impersonate the first 6 digits of the call receiver’s phone number in the hope of enticing that call receiver to answer a call. Neubecker and Reynolds both share their frustrations with the current situation and are hopeful the U.S. Senate and the President will take immediate action to pass updated privacy legislation protecting us all from spam robocalls.
Top 10 Ways to Secure your Home from Cyber Attack
- Make sure you have a firewall that blocks outsiders from getting into your home network
- Patch your computers and devices at least monthly
- Buy IoT devices from vendors that build in security by default
- Purchase IoT devices that auto-update or can easily be patched
- Don’t purchase computing devices that use default username = admin, password = static default password
- Consider carefully if you really need a WiFi enabled toilet (or other appliance)
- Segregate your IoT devices by putting them on the guest network that many routers offer
- Purchase devices from manufacturers that publish the firmware updates online with verifying hash value
- Don’t buy devices from manufacturers that lack https secure encryption on their own website
- Discard out dated IoT devices that do not have patch updates available
Enigma Forensics CEO Lee Neubecker will be appearing on WGN Midday News Tomorrow
WGN News is running a midday news segment promoting the Cyber Security Chicago Conference happening this Wednesday and Thursday (September 26th & 27th, 2018) at the McCormick Convention Center. Neubecker will be sharing a preview of the featured presentation he is giving this Wednesday at the Conference on IoT security.
Tune in tomorrow for the 11AM – 12PM live broadcast.
More details on the conference available at https://leeneubecker.com/chicago-cyber-conference-2018/